Monday, May 25, 2009

Local Yarn Stores

When I was a new knitter I could not understand why anyone in their right mind would spend close to $100 on yarn to make a sweater when they could buy yarn at Michael's for a 1/3 of the cost. Two things happened during that transition period from new knitter to an intermediate beginner.

the first is I made my first sweater. It was out of lion brand fisherman wool that I hand dyed with koolaid. I thought I really knew something since I was making it out of wool. It was an Aran sweater with intricate cables and I pushed through it making the pattern which was on the ball band make more sense by writing it out completely on 5 pages of paper. I kept it up for around 7 months. Putting it down only for a moment. I brought it everywhere. Got compliments on how it was going. How talented I was.. yadda yadda... and then it came time to put the pieces together. I was lost. All the directions said were sew pieces together. Finish by blocking. What the heck did any of that mean? So I researched... and finally settled on using whip stitch (it was the only one I understood) and then I blocked it (by wetting it and pulling a lot then letting it dry on carpet). Finally the moment came it was dry and time to try it on! I put this itchy labor of love on and it looked horrifyingly bad. So I went to the boards and asked people what I did wrong. I showed pictures.. I was frantic. I didn't know how to fix it nor did I know what to make of the monstrosity I had spent so many hours on.

The second thing that happened was I walked into my first local yarn store and touched fiber that was what I consider at the time "snooty". That did not win me over. I didn't understand why the price. Why the local stores? What was the difference? I had to find out. So I purchased a cashmere wool cotton blend to make a pair of custom fit gloves for my then boyfriend and a pattern. The first thing I noticed was the yarn did not split. It actually made my hands happy and while the pattern was not that much of a challenge I was very excited about the results. (just a bit afraid to wash them). The first yarn shop I walked into did not have nice people. They did not look at me. They all sat at a table knitting. I thought it was weird. When I asked for help it seemed as if I was bothering them.

One thing a person has to understand that has not found their store is that like finding a shop that has the right pants cut a yarn store is the same. It has to fit your personal style. Some are cozy with helpful grandma like women, some have new and trendy things to look at, some will hook you with the excitement about knitting and will be eager to talk knitting and help you learn, some will be organized in interesting ways. 

When I finally brought up my courage after going through a lot of the wrong fits and found Mosaic Yarn Studio I was already a bit jaded. But from the first moment I walked in and was greeted like an old friend I knew this would be my new knitting home. I have loved the staff and the yarn selection for 5 years. I love that the store encourages learning and pushes for new skills. There is never a moment to be bored in the store. From the shop models (that everyone wants to purchase but can't) to the exciting pattern books and leaflets the entire store is exciting and fun. 

Now that I work there I have learned an unbelievable amount. Looking back I have learned a lot about my first sweater and how it could have gone better if I had found my local yarn store earlier. What is the largest difference about a Yarn store and a Michaels? The hands on passionate people that inspire you and help you create something beautiful and that will be wearable. A wearable work of art. You are only as good as your supplies and Mosaic gives you both the supplies and the know how to make your creations work. The best part? If you run into a snag the store will help you fix it, figure it out and you'll leave with knowledge.

I wish every knew knitter would not have to learn the hard way like I did. 

No comments: