Monday, August 29, 2011

Confession of falling down the rabbit hole

I have been reading back blogs from yarn harlot and she took a month to finish all the projects she had cast on but didn't finish for various reasons. I love this idea. I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately as I try to organize my stash and also keep digging out partially finished projects.

On the one hand it's nice to visit the yarn I dedicated to projects. It's nice to see I had some ideas for sweaters and other things. But then I look at this ever growing pile of new yarns coming in to the house (Yeah I went to stitches.. and going to knit night at yarn stores has been of a down fall for me).

This is the series of events that lead me to some sort of crazed frenzy of knitting insanity without actually knitting very much.

I found a love for lace knitting during my wedding planning and my fingers are itching to get back to my Estonian lace project. The only reason I paused on it was because 4 babies decided to come into the world in the same month. :) I love baby knitting.

That lead me into a knitting challenge with myself to see how fast I could finish them and which needle would be best to do so. I used Addi lace fixed, Dense, and Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles. Surprisingly Hiya Hiya won. I also kept finding faster ways of finishing and I just love the idea of a little one being warmed by my creativity.

This then lead to the need to sew on buttons which for the life of me I completely forgot how. I researched finishing books I have and stumbled across lilly chin's book of tips.. where I found a OMG fantastic idea! Put the buttons on while you knit! Brilliant! So of course now I need to make another baby sweater but I haven't had time to buy the buttons.

Which lead to me deciding I need to put my stash on Ravelry so that I remind myself I do have yarn and I do not need to keep buying more no matter how much my brain tells me the colors of that would look great with blah blah or OMG I haven't seen this before I wonder what it's like to knit with it.

And then... I went to charity knitting... Charity knitting while making my own personal project (for a baby to be born but still not for charity) and I started to feel the guilt. I have all this wool I don't really know what to do with and I know I cannot make it into a baby sweater for new mothers (hand wash + new mom's = evil) so when I heard they are knitting for wool aid I knew what my wool had to be. Sweaters. Tons of baby, toddler and whatever else they can be to help.

While digging through my stash to organize I found so many left over yarn balls big enough to make something with and I kept piling them up... well that lead me to realize oh crap I need more bins to organize this yarn!

I swear this crap is never ending. Where am I now? Yearning to make a baby sweater for family and friends for a little one to be some day so I am not under the gun to finish 4 in two weeks (with knit on buttons) but still don't have the buttons. I have yarn all over the bedroom that I share with my husband who has been amazingly understanding about it. I have waay too many projects cast on which is stressing me out. And for some reason I decided to teach myself lever knitting in an attempt to knit through my stash faster.

Someone please save me from myself. I am stuck in yarn land and I cannot get out!!

BTW I fully intend to go to the yarn store tomorrow to get some more yarn to make other projects... oy vey... someone give me an intervention. Thank goodness school is starting soon. I won't have as much time for these shenanigans.

No comments: