Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kermit

My new sweater will be a V-Neck and a lot smaller :). Aggressive blocking makes knit sweaters into dresses. 
Here is my process to start knitting a sweater...
Step one. Knit gauge swatch. Use several different size needles 
 and as Maggie Righetti recommends in her book "Sweater Design in Plain English" I let the yarn talk to me. It told me pretty quickly that it wanted to be knit up as Stockinette. I took the measurements to find out what the stitches per inch were. I then took the label and wrote down the stitch/ inch size, the needle used and the yarn I used to make it.



Step two. I gather all my materials. Notice the white satchel in the picture, my swatch, and the original label from the yarn used.








Step three. I put it all together in the satchel and I have a lovely little present for myself next time I want to knit a sweater using this yarn with this specific specs. I don't have to swatch and the satchel makes it just a bit more elegant and fun.

No comments: