Sunday, February 3, 2008

WIP-Pink Sweater

I am designing my first sweater right now. I have always been terrified to do this but I think I am at the point in my life to take some risks. The first thing I had to do was rip back an old sweater that I had made with Lion Brand Fishermens Wool. It was a beautiful Cabled Aran sweater that no matter how much I blocked never seemed to fit me right.  So I frogged it :) and then re-dyed it using Pink Lemonade to even out the color.
I then used a can weighing 1lb to make sure that there were no kinks in the yarn. I'm a pretty patient person but for some reason I just couldn't wait very much longer to play with my new yarn and to see the dried color. Then in a crazed frenzy I can only describe as a moment of insanity I decided to try blow-drying the yarn. Of course I feared the worse and my brain kept saying "no you'll felt it!" I am so glad I ignored that little voice. The yarn not only dried faster but it bloomed! Look at the difference.

 Can you see it? I know the color kinda sucks but the yarn actually went from a 4.5" gauge to a 4" gauge after blow drying and it's super soft. I feel like I am using $10 yarn! I also washed it several times with Dial hand soap which I was worried about not being low enough in PH balance but as it turns out is perfect for washing wool. :)





No comments: