Friday, September 2, 2011

And then that happened....

So I woke up this morning with my wrist/hand/fingers/arm/elbow/shoulder/neck hurting a lot. I've started to snap at my poor husband and be in a general foul disposition. I can't help it. I have set-your-teeth-on-edge-pain.

Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I decided to go to the doctor.

The facts that made my decision. It was day 4 of being laid up with a bad hand and it was pissing me off! My hand was still swelling and my wrist hurt and my head ached and it was hard to breath because my back wanted in on the action and decided to wrench my shoulder blades to the point where taking in breaths made me wince. And I was turning into a raving bitch. I couldn't control my irritability. I still can't.

The doc took one look at my "sausage fingers"(Marty's quote because of how swollen they looked) and my increasingly swelling forearm and pronounced that I had tendinitis. He then had a different doctor come in to make sure I didn't need any other kind of tests. The doc asked me to show him what caused the problem. Marty prudently told me to bring my knitting needles in case this happened. I showed him the lever knitting and he said "That is not natural. Don't do that again!" I said "I don't plan on it." He then told me the colors he enjoys his scarfs made out of (which I found rather funny) and we all had a good laugh that I hurt myself this badly on a charity knitting project.


I am now on a 6 day course of steroids to bring the swelling down and have been told to lay off doing whatever it was that got me in this mess in the first place.

So now I am frothing at the mouth even more to knit because I can't. I found out I have 4 classes to take this fall not 3 graduate level courses (2 is considered full time). I am injured and pissy.

The only good news is that
1. this is not permanent it just hurts a lot lot lot.
2. I have no classes on thursday nights so energy levels and time permitting I can go to knit night
3. My husband rocks for putting up with my evil mean side.
4. I can apparently still type.

I'm going to go ice my arm and feel angry, bitter, and sad in my own little corner.

No comments: